Many people move and are moving to Miami for a variety of reasons. If you are considering moving down to Miami, I am sure you have thought about a few reasons for doing so. There is plenty of sunshine year-round, the culture is vibrant and always has little surprises, even for the locals. If you are thinking about moving to Miami there are a few Pros and Cons to think about before making the big move to The Sunshine State.
Pros of Moving to Miami
There are plenty of reasons to move to the Sunshine State, here are just a few:
- No income, real estate, inheritance, or retirement tax in the Sunshine State. Unlike many other states, Florida only has you pay Federal taxes on your income but with no state tax. Sales tax is about six percent which is still relatively low compared to other states in the US.
- Sandy Beaches – Miami is filled with sunny sandy beaches that people can visit year-round to enjoy.
- Other Attractions – Miami is known for its wide variety of adult attractions such as its nightlife scene but also including sports like tennis, wonderful golf courses, diving, surfing, and plenty of national parks to visit.
Many people head down to Miami after they retire to enjoy a life by the sand and to take advantage of the states great healthcare system that accommodates a lot of older individual’s needs.
From the Pros list, Miami may seem like a wonderful place to move to. As the old saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Here are a few items to consider when thinking about moving to Miami that may just make you rethink your decision.
- The Rising Cost of Living – both renting and buying has slowly increased over the years and does not seem like it will let up any time soon. Properties and rentals are becoming more popular as years go on with new businesses and people flocking to Miami.
- Hot and Humid – Miami is great for sunshine but it is not great for the humidity that floats around almost the entire state. Because of the humidity, bugs like mosquitoes thrive in that kind of environment and are plentiful down in Miami.
- Hurricane Season – Florida, and especially Miami is known to get hit by many severe hurricanes during hurricane season. Depending on where you liver in Miami, your property could be hit during one of the hurricane seasons!